About the Books
In Homefront 911, Stacy Bannerman, a nationally recognized advocate for military families who has testified before Congress, provides an insider's view of an emerging crisis in today's military families. Combining her own experiences with those of other caregivers, she describes the prolonged strain on the parents, children, and spouses of veterans as they battle with overwhelmed VA offices, a public they feel doesn't understand their sacrifices, and a nation that still isn't fully prepared to help those who have given so much. She shares with readers the tools she and others have found to heal, and she advocates policies and ways to help repair the broken agreement that the nation will care for its returning soldiers and their families.
Advance Praise for Homefront 911
"The 99% of Americans who have viewed the past decade's wars from the homefront salute the other 1% as heroes during parades or at football days. But America has barely begun to recognize the short- and long-term burdens it has placed on the tiny minority of its citizens who have fought, sacrificed, and exposed themselves to peril in the country's name. Homefront 911 makes those sacrifices, and the bravery, unforgettably clear. Anyone for whom 'boots on the ground' has become an abstraction should read this book."
- James Fallows, The Atlantic
"Homefront 911 is a powerful, tough-minded book, not for the faint of heart. For those willing to confront the true costs of American wars, it is also essential reading."
- Andrew J. Bacevich, author of Breach of Trust: How Americans Failed Their Soldiers and Their Country
"A disturbing cry for help...Bannerman tells it like it is."
- Kirkus Reviews
"Stacy's bravery and honesty in sharing her experience as the spouse of an Iraq War veteran with PTSD and a TBI, and her extensive interviews and research on the high cost being paid by thousands of families caring for our newest generation of combat veterans, should be required reading for all who have the power to send US troops to war."
- Belle Landau, executive director of the Returning Veterans Project
"Homefront 911 is a stunningly comprehensive examination of what war does to the families of the warriors. This singular book is both a call to arms to help the families of veterans, and a call to this country's moral compass to end America's endless wars."
- Thom Hartmann, #1 progressive radio talk show host in the United States and New York Times bestselling author
When the War Came Home chronicles the impact of operationalizing the forces that were intended to function as strategic reserves, and provides a personal account of Stacy's home front experience as she protests a war that her husband is fighting. At the heart of this powerful story of service, sacrifice, and speaking out is the question: What constitutes support for the troops, and when does it begin - before war is declared, during deployment, or after they come home?
Bannerman’s Bills & Legislation
• Kristy Huddleston Act, Proposed & Drafted by Stacy Bannerman: Currently under review by several U.S. Senators, The Kristy Huddleston Act proposes to amend title 38, United States Code, to provide Transitional Compensation, assistance, and support services to family caregivers and dependent children that are victims of Veteran Intimate Partner Violence and Dependent Abuse; to provide medical care and counseling for family caregivers and dependent children suffering Dependent Abuse and Veteran violence in the home; to improve the provision of crisis shelter and transitional supported housing to caregiver and child victims of Dependent Abuse and Veteran Intimate Partner Violence; and for other purposes.
• Oregon State Military Family Task Force Now Law: On August 5th, 2011, H.B. 3391, proposed and championed by Stacy, was signed into law, creating the nation's first statewide, state-sponsored task force comprised completely of military family members, with support from the Department of Veterans' Affairs and the Oregon Military Department. The Military Family Task Force leverages the expertise of military families in assisting policymakers to identify and develop policies to better serve the needs of the 21st Century military families.
• Military Family Leave: Stacy successfully spearheaded state and national legislative campaigns for military family leave, resulting in passage of Oregon H.B. 2744, and introduction of the federal Military Family Leave Act of 2009 by Senator Ron Wyden (D-OR), and Congressman Adam Smith (D-WA), a House Armed Services Subcommittee chairman, in July of 2009. The federal bill was passed in the House as an amendment to the National Defense Authorization Act, and the Senate version (S. 1441) is pending.